She also shared a mime to the song by Casting Crowns - "Who am I". This is the first time I've heard this song & I couldn't help but tear as I listened to it. It goes straight to the question of the Psalmist in Psalms 8:4 "What are human beings that you are mindful of them, mortals that you care for them?"
And what's worse, we are sinful human beings at that... creatures who at times, don't want anything to do with their Creator. And yet God calls us, runs after us, again & again... protects us from harm, comforts our hurts...
This song highlighted the extent of God's love for me, even though I'm transient & temporary (like a flower that fades, vapour in the wind), even though I'm sinful... and that made me want to serve God even more.
I've been thinking again & again... why don't Christians (myself included) want to serve God with all that we have? Why are we not taking risks to expend ourselves for the sake of God's glory? Is it because we don't understand Christ's demands on us as disciples? "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves & take up their cross & follow me" (Mark 8:34)
This has been my line of thinking for ages now, especially in light of the students I meet who seem to live nominal Christian lives (not forgetting that I was once like that too). My prayer of late has been in the lines of "Lord, please make them realise the demands of being your disciple."
As true as it is that Christ did make such claims of discipleship on us, this song made me realise that I had forgotten something else. It is the love of Christ that compels us into submission & service of him (2 Cor 5:14). Christ did not call us to submit by wielding a sword, but by laying his life down before one.
As much as I can try to "drill" & "hammer" the demands of discipleship on to myself & anyone else, it is ultimately the realisation of how much Jesus actually loves us that would make the difference. No wonder Paul made it a priority to pray that we may grasp how WIDE and LONG and HIGH and DEEP is THE LOVE OF CHRIST. (Eph 3:18-19). This is the difference between compulsion by law and by grace. Grace always wins.
We serve a Lord of love. Do we REALLY know & experience his love? If we do, we would give our lives for him no matter the cost. That's what his love for us did.
Please pray Eph 3:18-19 for me & for the students.
-----------------------------------------------------
You can sample the song on Youtube. But if you want a copy of it, please buy the original.
"Who am I" - Casting Crowns
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
Vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours
Who am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love and watch me rise again
Who am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
Vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours
I am Yours
Whom shall I fear
Whom shall I fear
'Cause I am Yours
I am Yours
No comments:
Post a Comment